Friday 30 September 2011

A Grand Institution



I love the BBC. Let's make that clear right from the off. I have the greatest respect for their efforts to consistantly air quality programing.  We've had a good relationship.

But we're about to have a falling out.

On Thursday it was announced that this season of Doctor Who Confidential would be the last. For those of you who don't know, Doctor Who Confidential is the Behind the Scenes show that airs after every epsiode of the new series of Doctor Who. It provides interviews with the cast and the directors and takes a look at how an average episode is created, everything from CGI to location sourcing. I know at least one person who is interested in a career in film who loves it because of all the background and techincal knowledge. And now it has been cancelled.

According to the official press release it has been cancelled so that BBC3 (under Controller Zai Bennet who has already cancelled popular shows such as "Coming of Age" and "Two Pints of Larger and a Packet of Crisps) "can build on original British commisions unique to the channel." I'd tell you what that means. Except the BBC won't tell me.

You see as soon as I heard the news I swung into action and filed a complaint with the BBC. I pointed out the educational aspects of Confidential along with the shows popularity and also pointed out that as far as "original British commissions unique to the channel" go you can'tget more original or unique than Confidential, based as it is on a original British show and it never having been show on any channel other than BBC3.

They replied fairly promptly. Feeding me the exact same line from the press release.

So I complained again, asking for an actual explanation rather than a simple sound bite. I politly outlined my points again and asked them to provide me with examples of the type of shows they consider "original and unique". They didn't get back to me, so I filed a third complaint again outlining my points and asking both for examples and a response.

They have yet to get back to me. I'm torn between filing a fourth complain or heading straight for Points of View.

As I said above I have the greatest respect for the BBC. But I expect better from them. And as a long time viewer I expect a response to my questions.

Guess I'll just have to keep poking them.

No comments:

Post a Comment